Saturday, July 3, 2010

Miscellaneous Musings

I'm finding it odd that the donkeys shed out this summer so very much later than the horses.  Very much later.
Fran just lost her winter coat last week (she had a mohawk stripe of long hair down her face) and Luigi is still pretty shaggy.  Gabs got her sleek summer coat the first of the group.   But Natural (25-year old horse buddy) lost his winter woolies in May.  Quite the difference.

Trying to determine what's needed to start the beasts on a training regime to drive.  Can I do it myself?  Farrier Koren gave me some tips for phase 1.  I had daydreamed about teaching Natural to drive many, many years ago but gave up the idea.  This may be my golden opportunity.

Gabriella gave me a little nip last week.  When I described the scene to a friend at the horse barn, she termed it "misdirected aggression".  I think she's right.  Gabby was kicking at Luigi in the back, then whirled around and nabbed me in the shin.  I responded in all the wrong ways.  Horse friend suggested using my Parelli carrot stick to gently show her I need my space.  It's worked on the rare times I remember to take the stick with me.

On my visit to Natural today, we played "catch me if you can".  After about 15 minutes of round and round, up and down the hill, I spoke ill of him and gave up.  Tomorrow is another day...

3 comments:

  1. Well, how about we learn this driving thing together? I've been procrastinating for too long now, and my girls are now 3. They are pretty good on halters (when they're not in a 'mood'). We've tried lunge(sp?) lines and they are not too keen on continuing in a circle. They are still 100% donkey .. but I won't give up :) As for the misdirected aggression.. I agree with that explanation! Same thing (only it was a KICK) happened to me a year or more ago. I truly believe Gracie mistook me for Ruby momentarily and left me a nice little hoof shaped bruise on my thigh ;) Ouch! But I forgave her completely, of course. -Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops, as if my comment wasn't long enough.. I forgot to comment on the donkey shed topic. Ruby is always first to 'get slick' but Gracie *still* has a shaggy belly and 'sideburns.' I'm threatening to give her a haircut when we trim her hooves this week! ok.. that's all my chatter for now. I don't get to talk donkeys enough, I guess! Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I play with you two... I have the cart and all but no one to play with! Every weekend I say this is it we are going to do some lessons...I soon get sidetracked, one of these days...
    As for shedding, my "kids" are still really shaggy, the horse has been shed out for months.
    Just different hair. Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete