Sunday, September 12, 2010

My Fabulous Guy

Today I'm going to digress from the three lovelies (hmmm, perhaps Luigi would not enjoy that title) and turn to Natural, the other equine in my life.  He's a 26 year old Standardbred, who's been with me for 20 years. Next to Rick (husband) and Dudley (black lab featured in previous posts), he's my main squeeze.

I don't ride anymore after a pretty bad fall six years ago, but do work him in the outside arena, about 80x120 Today he was a marvelous gem.

I took my lunge line and whip with me out to the arena and coaxed him in with some carrots.  But once in, he was not in the mood to be haltered.  Finally I quit chasing him and told him, "Fine, then you're going to run" and cracked the whip.  Lo and behold the boy started lungeing around this large area, just as if he was attached to a line.  I'll admit I had a much harder workout trying to keep up with him, but he went through all of his paces through voice commands - walk, trot, canter, ho.  My equine friends will know this is not out of the ordinary in a round pen, but not in a space this large.

I was beaming!
  

4 comments:

  1. He's beautiful. Does he get along well with your donkeys? I bet he does :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Natural is a handsome 'young' fella!! And so smart too. Every time I think I might try riding again... I read a story such as yours regarding a fall. Yikes! I've always loved horses, but I heard a gaited molly mule advertised for sale today on our local small town radio. Fully trained. Black with 3 white feet. Oh so tempting! -Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I now understand the term lunging. I'm learning how at Pretty Pony Pastures!

    ReplyDelete