Sunday, February 8, 2015

Hot Slop for Everybody

"Hot slop for everybody" was the rallying cry this morning.




(oops, please excuse that errant finger)


Denali from next door looks on jealously (I threw him a flake of hay to appease him)

Did a little experiment this morning.  While the three were still in the midst of consuming their hay cube concoction, I threw a flake of hay down next to them.  It remained untouched for at least 5 minutes.  That surprised me.  I assumed they only ate the hot slop because that was all being offered. Four years ago when I first served it, they looked down in disbelief -- "you want us to eat that stuff!"  

Breakfast was served in the driveway so I could get the little hyenas out of the way to clean up.  We only have paths to maneuver inside the donkey yard.  Little legs don't like to climb over, or through, deep snow.  So I am allowed the privilege of shoveling paths to and from the gate, to the water, and eating areas.  









And the paths only allow a single traveler.  No double lane traffic.  That means we frequently hit pile-ups.  I'll say "move!" to one or all three because I can't get through.  And then I'll say "move!" about 12 more times until finally someone takes a few steps out of the way.  Much easier to feed in the driveway if Rick or I aren't leaving soon. 











By the way, I got a huge bag of apples from a farmer's market yesterday so the little babies will be munching on those over the next couple of weeks.  Just in case anyone was worried...


2 comments:

  1. Hmmm, I must research your recipe for Hot Slop. Yummo! Or, at least it appears that your "hyenas" think it's pretty darned delectable. Love the pics and the descriptions! <3 from my donks to yours! -T

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. I'd love to know your recipe for 'Hot Slop'! It is FREEZING here. I bring out carrots cut up into little bitty pieces and a teeny shake of grain to my guys each day. What do you make your slop out of?

    ReplyDelete