Wednesday, March 14, 2018

It's March, It's Michigan, It's Madness

All of us are sick of the white stuff -- the donkeys, the chickens... and me.

The donkeys are tired of single path roadways (no, we do not like to walk in the snow).


And those roadways are now mud.  Boot-sucking, slop-onto-the-bottom-of-your-pants mud.


Chickens are sick of limited exploring room.  (no, we do not like to walk in the snow)



For a few hours in the afternoon I fling open the coop door (which opens into the donkey shed) and close the donkey shed gate.  Chickens can roam as far as they wish on muddy pathways, hop back through the gate and get into the coop. 





















But donks are blocked from the shed and coop. (if allowed in the coop, they are apt to go on a chicken feed gorging destructive rampage)  We only do this on sunny, fairly warm days when the four hooligans don't need the protection of the shed.

And I am oh so tired of those single lane pathways as well.  They are easily and frequently (no read that always) blocked by donkeys who just stand in the way.  I explain if they don't move and let me through there will be no hay on the menu.  They turn a deaf ear and stand.   I, not the model of patience, explain more forcefully and loudly.  And then there are the times I get caught in the middle of a pushing war and remind the culprits I am in the middle of this and to STOP IT. 

Ah yes, it's idyllic.  Sigh.

If the weatherman is forecasting with some semblance of competency, we'll be warming up into the 40's in a couple of days and (fingers crossed) lose a lot of this dadblasted snow.  Of course, we'll be back to lots of mud, but as long as I know we're moving forward, I can stand it.


And finally, to close on a pleasant note, I leave you with a new possession.


It makes me smile.

2 comments:

  1. We have woken up this morning to more snow here in Cheshire UK. Rose and Vi and not very impressed with this weather either and are refusing to leave the safety of their coop. One minute I think Spring is around the corner (hope) and then back to blizzard like conditions. I LOVE your new possession - how lovely!! Hoping you get some good weather soon over there in Michigan - feels like it's been a very long winter. Hope you all take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Louise, there's comfort when others are "suffering" too.
      :)

      Delete