Wednesday, May 5, 2021

The Clean Bowl Club

 Before we get to the main topic today, I would like to give you a couple of updates.

First mama bird and her nest/babies.
A few days ago I heard cheeping coming from the tack box, aka the nest.  But then we had the incident.
During morning chores as I was entering the hay aisle Sweet Pea swooped in and with amazing speed grabbed something on the ground.  I saw it hanging from her beak; it was about and inch and a half long and naked.  I grabbed her to try to rescue the baby but Lulu grabbed it out of Sweet Pea's beak.  At that point I figured it was too late.  How the baby fell out of the nest and the tack box is quite puzzling; the nest is tucked back in a corner nowhere close to an edge.

A couple of days later while I was in the midst of morning chores I saw mama bird leave the nest so felt comfortable peeking.  And there I saw another baby.  Since then I've seen mama with something in her mouth wait for me to leave the hay aisle.

Although the chicken/baby bird carnage was hard to watch, this "miracle of life" unfolding is pretty exciting.


Last post I showed you an example of a goofy egg -- one without a shell.
Then we had this beauty.


It's not terribly unusual to find a cracked egg, but the number of fissures in this one is not normal at all.
What are these girls up to?

Turning to donkeys --

When the donks are given their portions of Equine Senior they slowly and carefully eat e.v.e.r.y morsel.

Here Spice demonstrates the technique


Once every morsel is gone, as your dog might do, the donks carefully lick any remaining molecules.


  Gabby, never one to give up, asks me if second servings are forthcoming

 

*  *  *  *  *  *

Say Yes

A couple of weeks ago I described my newest smoothie combo and I'm still finding it to be pretty darn tasty.


It's quite a pretty green with baby spinach, banana, frozen organic cherries and a touch of spirulina.



2 comments:

  1. I've been through several of those baby bird rescues, sadly it's always too late. For some strange reason the Carolina Wrens insist of building nests on anything lower to the ground not the birdhouses high up the poles....I need to have a little talk.
    I shall tell my daughter about these donkey treats, may be something her ladies may enjoy.
    Not sure about the eggs, are your hens getting old, I think old laying hens produce cracked shells ?
    Your smoothie sounds delicious !
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo, just to clarify the Equine Senior is not a treat. It's a complete feed the vet recommended to put on weight until they're allowed out on the pasture.

      Delete