Wednesday, July 28, 2021

Bits and Pieces

 My normal posting on Monday was waylaid; Nature saw fit to send a tornado quite close to us on Saturday evening.  No power and then no internet.  We were back up far more quickly than I would have anticipated so I thank all those workers.  Quite a bit of damage to our neighbor community.


 So there was a lot of this

However, let me be clear, I am not complaining about the noise or the lack of full-house use with this little beauty.  Not complaining at all.  We've had the generator about 10 years and I remember very well what life was like without it when out of power.  We're on well water.  So no power = no water.  I won't go into detail on how we managed to flush a toilet.

The other big event for us this week -- little girl chickens were integrated with big girls.  You may smile/laugh but it was kind of a big deal.


   They seem to have picked up the routine a lot quicker than I thought.  Of course they have a crazy pack of wild hens to emulate.

Related to absolutely nothing, I bring you three donkeys who ignore the fact the hay manger is there to contain the hay so it doesn't fall on the ground where they could consume dirt with the hay ad potentially colic. Hmm mmm.


 Now that normal life has been restored, I'll do my best to be better prepared for next week's post.
Probably.  Maybe.

4 comments:

  1. Glad that you are up and running again Janet. I think integration of chickens is a big deal (and a nerve wracking one). You have done absolutely marvellously introducing the new girls and what a lovely flock you have now. As for the donks, what can I say? They like to do their own thing. They have got all the wonderful facilities you provide for them, but the floor seems a better option. Or, perhaps, they are just doing it to annoy mum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may be on to something there, Louise.
      How are your beauties?

      Delete
  2. Hi Janet. My girls are fine (touchwood) thank you. Ivy is managing well with her limited sight and seems happy enough in herself, thank goodness. As for Vera ... well - still feather pecking and still separated from Aggie and Ivy, unless out in the garden or supervised. Tried everything to stop this. I just think it is a bad habit. Aggie is taking ages to grow her neck feathers back and still looks a tatty mess. It's funny as Vera is the friendliest girl ever and will actually sit on my knee when I'm out in the garden with them. Aggie's personality is SO different. She's a little tearaway with a lot to say and she still believes I am going to eat her!! Isn't it amazing how they all have such different personalities? I don't think I have ever had two the same. So glad your girls are doing well and give the donks a hug from me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear the update. Yes, personalities galore. Have you had a good talking-to with Vera?

      Delete