Monday, September 6, 2021

Peggy Sue and her Eggshells

 Hold onto your hats, there's a sexy topic headed your way.

Eggshells.  Oh yea.

Hopefully you all know that because today's chickens have been bred to lay "too many" eggs, this abnormal egg production has taken its toll.  One of the effects is to deplete calcium levels in hens' systems.  Most commercial feeds add oyster shell, but I like to complement that with the girls' own eggshells.

For the longest time we simply kept the shells in a designated bowl on the counter, let them air dry and then I'd smash them up.  But this summer that didn't work well at all; I'm only guessing it was the unusually extended humid weather we had.  I've now taken to baking them in the toaster oven.


15 minutes at 250F

Why the toaster oven -- use less energy is my motto.

I'm sure your next question is do the chickens actually eat the shell pieces.  Probably not all, but some of the girls actually wait for me to put the shells in.


Peggy Sue loves her eggshells.  There are three feed containers, one a small rubber bowl.  Usually in the morning I pick that bowl up, place it on the shelf and put feed followed by shells in the bowl.  Pegs can hardly contain herself waiting for the bowl to come back down to the ground and hops up onto the shelf to have the shells all to herself.  Sadly I tell her she has to share and the bowl goes back down.


*  *  *  *  *  *  Say Yes!  *  *  *  *  *  *   

Blueberry Lemon Bread

This vegan version was pretty darn deelish.  Clearly I didn't frost it, who needs more sugar, right?
One word of advice -- follow the directions for the amount of blueberries to use.  After putting the 1 cup in I said, oh that's not enough and added more.  Stirred.  Added a few more.  Too too many.  In spots the blueberries were barely held together by batter.

Follow the recipe...


5 comments:

  1. Janet I use the eggshells up for my girls as well as the oyster shell. I usually just pop them in the microwave for a minute and then smash them up and add to their food. Do they eat them?? I don't think my girls do but at least I am giving them the option. Peggy Sue must realise how good they are for her. The blueberry cake looks delicious. Unfortunately I am not a good baker so I don't think I will be risking it. Just might have to pop over to Michigan and have a slice of yours. I have a question for you Janet, a bit off topic today, but still chicken related. Do you have problems ever with rodents and if so, how do you manage them? We have always had the odd mouse in the chicken run but lately my husband has seen a rat!!! I hate to use poison but this seems the only thing to keep them at bay. Obviously it is nowhere near the girls or the cats. I use Jeyes outside cleaning fluid and bleach and spray around the perimeter of the run. The Jeyes fluid though has now changed the ingredients and it does not smell as strong as it used to so I think this is going to be pretty useless. Any ideas on this topic? Thanks janet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Louise, We have occasional mice, more so in the winter and I haven't found a way to deter them. I really like Fresh Eggs Daily with Lisa -- I'll check and see if she has any suggestions. We also have a problem with birds getting through the netting in the run and coming in the coop to enjoy a meal.

      Delete
    2. Found this:
      https://www.fresheggsdaily.blog/2018/10/how-to-keep-mice-out-of-your-chicken.html
      I need to get some mint!!

      Delete
  2. Thanks very much Janet for that link. I found it very useful. I to need to get some mint!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never heard of adding eggshells to a hen's diet. Interesting! I make a lemon blueberry bread and I totally agree with you about the blueberries. There really is too much of a good thing.

    ReplyDelete