Monday, October 18, 2021

Chicken Antics

 It seems Peggy Sue needs a spa day and I hadn't realized it until recently.  How could I have missed the signs?


I took this photo to show you the girls digging in to spinach and pumpkin and to my horror instead got an eyeful of dirty butt.  Coincidentally we just had a spa day for one of the black birds.  I think I've mentioned the embarrassment of not being able to tell them apart.  There's Joannie (Baez), Lulu and Etta James.  I used to be able to differentiate Etta by her smaller size and browner feathers.  But now I can't tell anyone apart!  Anyway JoannieLu (as I've come to call each of them) had quite the dirty buttee so Rick and I performed gymnastics trying to corral her to plop her in a pan of epsom salt water.  She was not enthusiastic.  But she does have a cleaner derriere.  Now it's Peggy's turn.  I'm waiting for the warmest day of the week and I think Pegs will be easier to catch.

The girls always enjoy their Sunday treat of tearing apart a flake of straw to get the chaff.
I've told you Violet a-d-o-r-e-s me and there she is, stuck to my side.


And then there's Fluffy.  A unique personality all to herself.  Her night-time roosting spot was always on the top of the yellow door, but lately she alternates between the yellow door and the interior yellow window.  Sometimes getting down in the morning for breakfast is a bit of a problem.


I've mentioned that none of the girls used the ladder and tree limb I so graciously provided in their run.  Lo and behold the "new" girls are perching there.  Yes, I still call them the new girls although they joined us Memorial Day weekend.


Huzzah!


 

   

4 comments:

  1. Your hens are so pretty. Love their names, and enjoyed the little videos too. You must get plenty of eggs. We have only 5 or 6 hens that lay and still have more eggs than we can use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melba, with the advent of cooler weather our girls are slowing down. I never force egg production - it is what it is.

      Delete
  2. Loved your videos Janet. You have such a marvellous set up for your girls. They are very lucky indeed. Sorry to say this but I am glad I am not the only one that has a chicken with a dirty bottom. Agnes always has a dirty bottom, but the other two are fine and lovely and fluffy. Agnes is a real wild little tearaway and I would hate to give her a spa bath. Have done it so many times before and all other girls have been very well behaved. Agnes creates if I just look at her in the wrong way. She still believes I am going to eat her!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell Agnes she's a lucky little hen to be living with you and she'd better mind her manners!

      Delete