Monday, July 4, 2022

Vicious Flies

 There is only one thing on the minds of the donkeys these days.  

Flies.  Tormenting, unrelenting, despicable.

None of my normal fly repellents are touching them.  I spray and five minutes later, or sooner, they return to swarm on little legs.


Little donks don't even want to go out in the pasture, but prefer the cool of the barn with the fan blowing full blast.  Not only cools them but keeps the damned flies away.  Honestly, they are driving the donks nuts.  Literally nuts.  

Less chemically/essential oil based repellents have been my go-to's forever, with the horses before donkeys.  



But the winged devils have never ever been this bad.  So I broke down today and ordered some chemicals.  Hopefully I have to turn to them only during the worst of the season.

Chickens, on the other hand, aren't bothered by the vicious flying things.

They enjoy their ice water on the excessively warm days


enjoy feuding over a nesting box


and like putting all their eggs in one basket.


On a peaceful day before the fly attack


2 comments:

  1. Oh poor donkeys. Must be so so irritating for them. Let's hope the chemical approach works for them to give them some relief. I seem to remember one year you put socks on the donks to help with the fly problem (or did I just dream that??!!). Anyway socks might be the way to go. Sending love to you all in Michigan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have an excellent memory. Problem is I haven't been able to find them in the past couple of years. I have a small stash left but...

      Delete