Monday, November 28, 2022

Winter Routine Comes Early (!)

 The winter routine descended quickly here.  Winter gear, hauling water, de-icers for hen and donk water.  

But let's be clear -- the older chickens were not happy with the early snowfall.
Particularly Sweet Pea.
At seven, she's becoming a bit of an old lady.  Even with a heavy layer of straw in the porch and the run she only peeked out, unwilling to step a toe on the white stuff.

The young'uns (Gigi, Stevie and Henri) ventured out to explore.

Sweet Pea -- only her head is seen while Henrietta said it wasn't so bad  

The donks were a little more accepting.  Snow meant the pasture gate was opened where they could wander and pick at tall weeds.

Here they were greeting me at morning's breakfast.  And didn't move as I approached.  Just staring.
Weird.



But now the temps have warmed and snow has turned to yuck.

Turning to the inside critters --


Faith during one of her many naps


And Phinneas
I sure do love black labs!





2 comments:

  1. I especially love donkeys and that is one reason why your blog is so special to me. I must share with you a fabulous book I just read "Flash: The Homeless Donkey Who Taught Me About Life, Faith and Second Chances" by Rachel Anne Ridge. Very upbeat true story, I will post a review on my blog one of these days. Terra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terra, I'm embarassed to say I own the book but haven't read it yet. Oh dear. Will get on it!

      Delete