Monday, January 15, 2024

Snow Shoveling For the Darn Donks

 The two videos I'm going to show you illustrate what was happening two days ago.  Five inches of snow is not a big deal in Michigan, but this stuff was so wet and heavy.  One friend said it was heart attack snow.  Have to tell you, I was feeling my age.



This morning I fed the donks in the driveway so I could shovel an eating area - they were tired of eating in the barn and welcomed being outside in spite of the cold. (also being in the barn for extended periods means there's manure from one end to the other)


As for the chickens, we've been leaving the door to the porch open but leaving the radiant heater on (I've not seen anyone venture outside).  Many chicken keepers will rake you over the coals if they hear you're using a heater.  And yes, I do understand the risks, BUT, I've seen my two seniors stand in front of it when they felt the need.  I am a bit worried about Sweet Pea; her comb may be frostbitten so I'll doctor it tomorrow morning.  Nighttime temps have dipped down to subzero numbers twice and it looks like we've got a couple more frigid nights in the coming week (then we're back up to double digits).  Hay and more hay for the donks and protein and scratch with corn for the hens.  

I also discovered today the heater for the chicken water was dying so had to look for a replacement this afternoon.  Guess how much that sucker cost -- $58!  But what choice did I have.
And two tines of the manure fork broke so that will be Rick's job tonight.
No more problems please.

On a smling note, my African violets are blooming - a first in years.  




3 comments:

  1. I am so sorry for the loss of your Marigold. I hope all your chicks, donks and you make through the cold and snow. I have had a lot of snow too. I can deal with it when it falls in inches but it was falling in feet, last week (72 in. in four days)..it makes me unhappy. Take Care, Kaye

    ReplyDelete