Monday, April 15, 2024

Turkeys, Orchids, and Eggplant

 Almost every morning, I awaken to the sound of our local flock of turkeys.  I can hear them whether the windows are open or not.  Generally around 6:15 or 6:30 this time of year.  I consider them my morning greeters, although I do not leap out of bed to greet them.  Very occasionally we see them in the back  "yard" wandering through the brush. 


Thankfully most of the time they are outside of the fence, but there's that small percentage of occasions when they've flown inside and we must shoo them out so the dogs can be let out.

Turning briefly to the house interior, my oldest orchid is blooming again!  I don't believe it's ever bloomed two years in a row.  As of today only two blooms have not yet opened.




Don't be fooled into thinking mornings with the donkeys are all excitement and glamour.  On a recent morning when I let them into the compound to wander while I was doing chores, they were as slow as molasses.  Watching this little clip will definitely slow your pulse.


 On the other hand, one can always count on Sharone for a rousing morning greeting.  In fact, usually there are several.


I'm contemplating whether to add two or three hens to the flock.  I've been advised I have a rather small flock for one rooster.  More girls means he doesn't continually pick on the same girls.  No, I haven't conferred with him on this decision. 


*  *  *  *  *  * Vegan Delights *  *  *  *  *  * 

This is a Trader Joe gem.  Before I opened the can I had intended to whip up some rice to accompany it, but I ended up eating the whole thing before the rice came out of the cupboard.  
Scrumptious!




4 comments:

  1. Good Morning,
    I know in the past you were concerned about Sharone becoming too aggressive with the other chickens, I am assuming he is being "somewhat" appropriate? I do feel for the hens he keeps going for.
    Take Care,
    Kaye

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kaye, so glad you asked. Yes, I'm so happy he's not being aggressive toward me or Rick (or the housesitter we use when going out of town). Nor is Sharone being overly aggressive toward the girls. Still knocking on wood to be safe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always enjoy seeing wild turkeys in the pasture, especially when it's time for the poults to appear.
    Donkeys most certainly move to their own pace, sweet little creatures that they are.
    Beautiful Orchid, I've never had luck growing one.
    Hugs,
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So good to hear from you Jo. Still envious of your fab photos.

      Delete