Monday, June 26, 2023

Chickens On Parade

 Our hen family of seven is a wonderful group of girls.  Who wouldn't love these affectionate (well, not all), funny, adventurous, sometimes smart bevy of beauties.

In no particular order:

Etta James
Came to us in 2018 from a farm that was being sold.   100 chickens were rehomed and we swept up the last four.  That makes Etta roughly 6 years old I was told all the girls were one).  She loves to travel out to the furthest point in the pasture during their brief free range time in the morning while I'm doing chores.  Invariably when I'm doing a head count, I only come up with six and know Etta is adventuring. 


Etta and Joannie Lu

Joannie Lu (Joan Baez/Lulu) also came from the farm with Marigold.  She tends to keep to herself.


Marigold

This little girl was a rescue through the Michigan Humane Society in 2019.  Apparently there was a hoarding situation in Detroit of 80 birds.  Age unknown.  During her bumblefoot time frame she was very meek and allowed herself to be bullied.  Once she felt better, she stood up for herself, although I wouldn't call her assertive.  Isn't she a beauty.


Henrietta
There is a local family-run feed store that I've come to use for many of my chicken and donkey needs.  In 2021 they raised Isa Browns from chicks and Henri came to us as a three month old, making her now  2 years old.   She can be a bit greedy when it comes time for treats grabbing at my hand or hopping up to try to be first.   



Stevie (Nicks) and Gigi
Also from the Michigan Humane Society.  Just last fall.  They were confiscated from a community that didn't allow chickens.  (Lordy, check your ordinances).  They were six months old.  Clearly they had been loved and, as I've mentioned Gigi is my cuddler.  Stevie is not.


Gigi

 


Stevie


And never ever last in my affections --

Sweet Pea

In 2015 when I originally decided to venture into chicken keeping, I got three Buffs from the feed store I mentioned earlier.  And my favorite girl was one of them.  I've seen her slow down with age but she keeps up with the rest of the girls when they scurry out of the coop in the morning and afternoon and come on the fly to get treats.  She is definitely the heaviest chicken of the group!  And she's the only hen of the current group who has an unmistakable voice.  Much lower pitched then the others.  For years she has been my assistant poop cleaner upper.  Every morning when I tackle donkey manure she comes and assists, inevitably getting in the way. 

I purely love her.


 


 

 

2 comments:

  1. Lovely background of your girls Janet. They are all looking great. I think you will agree with me that they are great companions and pets but they also carry a complexity causing such worry at times. Anyway, since going into this chicken keeping business, it becomes addictive. I don;t know how many times I have said 'no more - that's enough heartache' but somehow they get into your hearts and life just wouldn't be the same without the chooks. Lots of love to the chooks and donks (and of course yourself, my friend).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said. So glad we "met", always look forward to hearing from you.

      Delete