Monday, June 12, 2023

This and That On Our Teeny Tiny Farm

 Lots of snippets of info this week.  Where to start.

Let's begin with Marigold.  She's the little girl we treated for bumblefoot earlier in the year.  Mar was starting to act a bit lethargic and her comb paled.  That's a HUGE red flag.  Know the color of your hens' combs - a change in color can be an indicator in health issues.

I immediately put some diatomaceous earth in the feed, put some apple cider vinegar (with mother) in a second waterer and wormed her.  She's now as peppy as the other girls AND her comb has brightened.


   
I am so appreciative of Rick's improvements in and around the barn and coop.  Last week he took it upon himself to install some windows in the windows.  Sounds weird I know.



The big windows hinge and are propped up with a large pole.  In the winter when they're closed the girls suffer through a significantly darkened coop.  But now, voila windows in windows.  Rick can be pretty handy.


Then there's the donkeys.  Daily life with the three is not all daisies and lollipops.  A couple of days ago Sugar put on her invisibility cloak and tiptoed into the coop to snack on some chicken feed.  When I looked up from manure duty, did a quick head count and only came up with two donks, I immediately knew what was gonig on.  That's when the yelling started. "GET OUT!!!!"  She came flying out.  Don't even try to tell me she didn't know what she had done.


 Gabby likes the more subtle approach.


Peeking in the barn to see where I am and if the coop door is open.  And if I left any treats on the ground.

Ay-yi-yi...


****** Vegan Delights ******

One of my favorite items at Trader Joes.  So tasty


3 comments:

  1. Just love seeing your little videos Janet and hearing your voice. I reckon Sugar knew exactly what she was doing. So glad the chooks are doing well. I don't think I have told you but I lost Vera a few weeks ago to EYP and had to have her PTS. Just two weeks after my old girl Ivy died in my arms. To say I was devastated is an understatement!! Anyway, four weeks ago I collected two 18 week old Light Sussex girls as I did not want Aggie to be on her own. Anyway, Aggie is not impressed in the least with the two upstarts and was quite happy being an only child and having me all the herself. I, on the other hand, am very happy and these two beautiful babies have put a smile back on my face after so many upsetting occurrences over the last few months and years. Please welcome Edith and Connie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Louise, so very happy to hear from you. When you're silent for too long I get worried. I share in your sad loss. It's so very hard. BUT, welcome to Edith and Connie. And a pat on the head to princess Aggie.

      Delete
  2. Thanks Janet. It's been a tough time recently and I didn't mean to go silent. Just got caught up with a lot of other things. Glad you're all doing well and it's lovely to hear from you. Your friend, Louise.

    ReplyDelete