Monday, October 23, 2023

Oops

 Turns out Sharona's name needs to be changed.  Although I suppose in this gender fluid society, perhaps not.  Anyway turns out she's a he.  Yup, I've avoided roosters like the plague having heard the horror stories and now, voila.  

I'm still getting used to calling her a him, but isn't he lovely.

I've talked to a couple of people who know roosters, trying to get  a feel for what to anticipate.  

When do you see aggression surface, if it's going to. 
How to work with him to fend off aggression.  One person told me to hold him as much as possible.  Ha!  I think the person I bought him from never did any "holding" work.  All three -- Storm, Clara, and Sharone have been people skittish.

And then there's the spurs.  I dread the day they appear.

I've been around aggressive roosters -- at a farm sanctuary I volunteered at -- and let me assure you, they scared me. 
And I've been told the ideal ratio is 10 hens per rooster.  I only have eight girls.  How rough on the girls is mating.

So many questions!

I've seen many posts in chicken groups, "want a nice rooster?"  They're a dime a dozen.  I do have a lead on one person who appears to be a kind owner if I find he won't fit.

But let's be optimistic for the moment and assume he stays in the flock. What do you think about just changing Sharona to Sharone.  I've been calling him Sharona for three months now, so I hate to make any extreme changes.  


If anyone out there knows roosters, please comment as such and maybe we can make contact.  

 

4 comments:

  1. He is a beautiful bird, the color of his feathers are exquisite.
    I know nothing about roosters, but have heard stories about their behavior both good and bad. I hope he turns out to be well behaved and takes good care of the girls.
    Take Care,
    Kaye

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a city girl and know nothing about roosters, but I think in all species you have aggressive and non-aggressive individuals. Let's hope yours fits in with the "girls". I think Sharone is a great name.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Janet. Well what an unexpected surprise to find out Sharona is a rooster. It doesn't appear that you have encountered any problems with him in your flock so far so I am optimistically saying that there is no reason why things (his behaviour) should change. You give your chooks so much room and plenty to do and I really think it will all be fine. Same thing happened to my friend a couple of years ago and she ended up with a rooster and she only had a few girls. She is not one to give up and didn't think about rehoming him and he lived with her until he was a grand old age. All their personalities are different, as you know and therefore I think he has a very good chance of being of 'kind' rooster. Another friend I had had a rooster with her girls and he was a complete gentleman and he had a lovely nature, so don't give up just yet as things have a habit of turning out well. Good luck and he is absolutely gorgeous, or should I say handsome. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm writing from Ohio, Columbus precisely. I was diagnosed with brain cancer in August of 2010 and my wife breast cancer, A precious friend (African American) told me about Dr Jekawo A traditional herbal doctor in West Africa,She gave me his contact number and email address,I contacted him quickly so he give me guaranty that his herbal medicine will cure my brain cancer,my wife breast cancer and herpes completely that we will be heal forever I said Okay.I ask him about the process for the cure,he ask me to pay for the herbal medicines preparation which i did and within 7 working days he sent me the herbal medicine then he instructed me on how to drink it for 21 days to cure.I told Eric my friend about the herbal medicine so he gave me go ahead to drink it.So after I and my wife drinking for 21 days we were cured completely, I'm so grateful and i promise i will recommend anyone with herpes or cancer to reach this great herbal doctor and that what i'm doing.
    Dr Jekawo told me he can cure the following disease.Cancer,Hiv/Aids,Herpes,Diabetes,Parkison,Copd,Hepatitis.. Here Is His Contact Info......[drjekawo@gmail.com] thank you so much for this great opportunity.

    ReplyDelete