Monday, August 26, 2024

Chicken Antics and Ailments

 After publishing the last post, Henrietta not so kindly reminded me she is not two years old, but is three. 

I stand corrected.

A couple of days after I refreshed one of the nesting boxes with new shavings, the little devil sat there and carefully plucked pieces of shavings out and threw them over her shoulder to the ground.  Now that's a new one around here.  Leave it to Henrie!


 
Pippi is getting big, matching the other girls in size.  But her bravado does not match her size. 


And now for the bad news.
Clara is sick and I've tried all the tricks in my bag.  I've wormed her, re-established  ACV in one of the waterers, put DE in the feed, given her an epsom salt soak, dusted DE under her wings for mites, and most recently given her three doses of colloidal silver (anti-bacterial).  This last trick came from the moderator of a local chicken group who has had chickens for 30 years.  Nothing seems to have an effect.
She's lethargic, moves slowly and rests while the other girls are frolicking during free range time.
But her comb is a nice bright red.
Louise -- any ideas?
I'm stumped.


. And to make matters worse, we're going on a mini-vacation and I'm leaving Clara in the hands of the housesitter.  A wonderful housesitter, but...

No comments:

Post a Comment