Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Intro to the 3 Amigos

Having just read Julie and Julia, I was struck with the strong desire to publish a blog about the thing that brings ME joy -- my three miniature donkeys. Yes, my husband and son (and dog) also bring me joy, but I don't have daily stories about their exploits. Somehow I always find the donkeys to be entertaining, endearing or evilly impish.

I'm afraid of boring my friends on FB to distraction by continually bringing the donk stories to them. But a blog, now there's an idea. My friend Brenda, upon hearing my thoughts about blogging, immediately raised her hand and said "Let me create the blog site for you". And here we are.

We got the donkeys on Labor Day of this year, 2009. Immediate question from my friends -- WHY??? Because I fell in love. They had been brought to our next door neighbors' as "rescues" and as I passed them every day knew I'd have to convince my husband we "needed" them (not an easy task).
Next question -- do I know what I'm doing? Kind of. I've had a horse for about 20 years, though not on our property but know the basic health and feeding routine.

Yea well, what am I going to do with them? Hmmm... dunno. Donkey rides seem to be out (although our local Parks and Rec's staff eyes lit up when asked if they'd be interested) because of insurance rates. Maybe a "pettable pets" side business. Right now I'm exchanging donkey manure for eggs with a friend. Not a bad start. What I'd REALLY like to do is teach them to drive a cart -- doable, though not without some help.

The three amigos/bambinos/hyenas -- yes I've called them all three-- are Luigi (dad), Francesca (mom) and Gabriella (child).

Once I figure out how to post photos, I'll show them off.

No comments:

Post a Comment