Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Training Begins!

Labor Day not only marked the one-year anniversary of entering life with the donkeys, but also marked the First Day of Training to Drive.  Dum da dum [drum roll in background]  We clipped on two leather dog leashes, one on each side of the halter.  I was in back as the "driver" and Rick was in front with a lead line offering a little direction when my voice commands fell on deaf ears.

We started with Luigi and things went rather swimmingly.  I was able to get him back on track, turned, and went down the driveway like pros.  Then it was Fran's turn.  Not so swimmingly.  Two steps, then stop and think.  I'd nudge her, we'd go another two steps, stop and think.  Didn't try Gabriella, the little teenage hellion.

I've been looking for books and articles to help me figure out what I'm doing and the pickin's are sparse. But one I found yesterday did say geldings seem to perform better.  So I guess our experience also points in that direction.

Now to start looking for some decently priced gear!

I do have to put a plug in for friend Jill who offered words of encouragement this past weekend.  She taught her pony to drive without too much effort -- only thing was it was about 40 years ago.  Hmmm....

3 comments:

  1. I envy you for even trying. I can't imagine my guys cooperating very much but I would love to have them drive! Keep us posted.
    Amy at Verde Farm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! You tried it! Good for you. I keep looking for that perfect opportunity. Know what? It's just not gonna happen if I wait for that. I'm on a mission now to prove it can be done! We have one occasional visitor (won't mention any names, but.. is connected to an elderly family member). She is always telling me how she worked the mules growing up, and how "bad" they were. She informed me the other day that unless I hit my donkeys, they wouldn't do what I told them to. I said, excuse me ma'am, I do not hit my donkeys. Grrrrr. So.. I know we can do this with love and respect. I have some limited Meredith Hodges videos (http://www.luckythreeranch.com/), and one of her books. I just need to try. I'm inspired. Keep us posted on your progress! -Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  3. HIT DONKEYS!!!!!!Oh my my!
    I am so proud of you Janet.....hum I need a poke in the bum....keep giving us your lesson tips....there is still time for us Tammy!
    Luigi gets a big pat too!

    ReplyDelete