Thursday, May 30, 2024

DIY Donkey Waterfall

 The donkey water trough.  Debris can float at the top and gather at the bottom. So from time to time we don't fill it every day and allow the water level to lower so it can be dumped, scrubbed and refilled.  Even if the level is low when dumped, a lot of water spills into the yard.  And the chickens like to paddle around in it, drinking from the puddles.  

So much better than their clean waterer.  Of course, when it comes time to fill the trough, one tends to turn on the hose and continue chores in the vicinity.  Time and again we miscalculate.  And our cup runneth over.


At one time I wanted to create a flow of water down the small hill at the side of our house to a small pond.  I guess this donkey waterfall will have to suffice.

Let's turn to Sharone, the rooster, for a moment.  He does not find it necessary to awaken the world at daybreak (there is a god), but when he hears (human) voices approaching for morning chores he begins to sing his song.


I always thank him for his music.  Such a good boy.


Changing subjects, how many of you have seen the quite cute videos of people giving their dogs a spa day.  Often this includes the dog on its back getting paws oiled, massaged, and lotioned.  Our vet was out recently so I asked about this.  His quick response was "don't do it".  You want your dog's paws to be tough so running or walking on rough surfaces isn't painful.  So there you have it.  Don't do your dog a disservice by duplicating the cute videos.


I'm thinking it might be fun to incorporate a "What are you reading/watching" section if readers would participate.  Let's give it a whirl.  I'll start.

I just finished "The West Wing".  Shown on network television 1999-2006.
I loved (almost) every minute.
Created by Aaron Sorkin (he also wrote the first 3-4 seasons) with a wonderful cast (Martin Sheen, Bradley Whitford, Allison Janney, John Spencer), intriguing storylines, and sensational opening and closing musical themes.  Sorkin also created "Newsroom" with Jeff Daniels.  I have watched that one twice and may go for a third time.  I find it that good.
I did find I had to get DVD copies of The West Wing from the library as the streaming service that offered it wanted to charge me a fee in addition to the monthly fee I was paying. No thank you.
I think I would definitely put The West Wing in my top 10 best TV shows.

I'm also watching Northern Exposure (1990-95) on Netflix.  I'd give that a Very Good rating. 
And finally let me throw in The Vicar of Dibley (1994-2000, but only 3 seasons).  British and always made me smile.  The characters were so eccentric but endearing.  I really wanted more after the last episode.

 So let's hear what your thoughts are on an outstanding show, not just good but outstanding.  


* * * * * * Vegan Delights * * * * * *


Like a thick and creamy pudding.  And oh so good.


 

4 comments:

  1. Isn't it funny how the chooks prefer dirty puddles? Mine are just the same. They obviously have fresh water everyday, but a dirty puddle, now that's so much better. In fact the cat does it to!! So glad you kept Sharonne. What a handsome chap he has turned out to be. Now about your other debate ..... The most recent thing I have watched and thoroughly enjoyed was a programme about canal narrow boats 'Narrow Escapes'. It features people who have given up living in their houses and have taken to the canals and waterways of Britain. Very entertaining. I have a passion about narrow boats but I don't think I could live on one. Unless I was moored next to my own bit of land so I could still have my animals. Now there's a thought ...better let my husband know!!! I have recently enjoyed Line of Duty and a couple of other police themed dramas. To be honest I love anything that involves the countryside and rural living. Love to the chooks and donks and of course you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Louise for your television suggestions! I agree with you about the narrow boats. Might be a bit too confining. We'd have to put our animals on board. Hmmm...

      Delete
  2. I am happy that Sharonne is still being a good guy, may it continue. How did you name him? It is such lovely name.
    I loved "Northern Exposure!" I had a crush on the character Chris, played by John Corbett..
    Take Care,
    Kaye

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kaye, when I thought he was a hen, his name was Sharona (from the 1979 song My Sharona, and from the character in Monk). Seemed easiest to just take off the "a".
      No recommendations for program watching?

      Delete