Monday, July 20, 2026

Arnica For Chickens, Who Knew

 I'll gloss over the weather and other current events -- yes we in Michigan got hit with the trifecta -- heat, smoke, and lettuce parasites.  Good times.  Two of the three have dissipated for the time being but white vinegar and the salad spinner are my new best friends.

Let's shine the spotlight on Henrietta before I whisk you away to the land of Mitzi.


I just checked my trusty "chicken book" and Henri is only five.  I thought she might be a bit older.  But at five she is the current matriarch.  .
(Note to self: I  think what I need to do is try to catch photos of each girl and provide their ages.)

It would appear Henri knows her nickname.  Of course, her full name is only used in times of discipline.  :)


Now then, back to the Mitzi update.

She's been convalescing in the basement for three weeks now.  Her leg/foot is better, she can put weight on it, but she's slow and favors her other side.  About a week ago she got a bit of fresh air and she had a ball pecking for bugs and eating grass.


 Yesterday we took her out with the other hens while segregating Pippi.  For about two hours.  It might have been too much time on her feet so today I took her out for a shorter visit.  Her leg does seem swollen.  I did a quick search asking if arnica is ok for chickens.  Got the green flag so swabbed her leg with a small amount.  Yup, chicken nurse Janet.

Rick and I are playing it by ear as to her health plan for this week.  More outdoor visits but returning to rest up in the basement.

Now I'll leave you with this oddity.  Two eggs with such different yolk colors.  Why would that be since clearly everyone is on the same diet.



No comments:

Post a Comment