Monday, August 24, 2020

My Chickens Have a Sweet Tooth

 During the more frequent heat waves we have encountered in Michigan this summer, the girls are partial to summer treats -- frozen blueberries, watermelon and their usual banana.  Spinach and lettuce -- poo, only if they must and I simply do not offer any delicious sugary options.  It is clear they only eat it as a last resort. They attack their fruit treats with aggressive gusto, pouncing on pieces and running to a different area in the coop to make sure no one steals their treasure.  Sometimes it's a little disturbing to watch.  Equally disturbing is their enthusiasm for eating eggs.  Cooked or raw.  I still have a hard time with that one.    

I discovered through reading Fresh Eggs Daily that you can provide cold water for them to drink (I would not have assumed it safe at first blush) .  So on these steamy days I fill a tray with iced water; they spend several minutes sipping.  

As I've said I like morning feed the best -- everyone is calm, relaxed and pleasant to be with.

Just be forewarned.  If you stop by to visit, make sure you have a banana or two and you'll be greeted with open wings.

4 comments:

  1. Loved your clip of your girls Janet - You always brighten my day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are one of the top reasons I haven't dumped the blog. :)

      Delete
  2. I had no idea that chickens ate those things. I learn something new all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The more I read about these little cuties, the more I'm entranced.

      Delete