Monday, July 12, 2021

Donkey Behavior -- Grit your Teeth or Smile

 Sometimes when one encounters resistant donkey behavior e.v.e.r.y single day, it's easy to lose a little patience.  And one's (no names mentioned here) voice reflects it.


Usually when I open the gate in the morning to bring in the manure wheelbarrow I let the donks graze the grass in the area just beyond the gate.  With all the rain nature has recently bestowed, it's nice and lush -- and oh so tasty.  I accidentally discovered that the donks would come back in to their hay by voice command.  When I start calling they kick up their heels and race in.  Except the day I try to get it recorded.  Of course.  

And then there are the days they are not quite so cooperative and I use the stern voice.   


I've also had to gather my patience with little Miss Sugar.  Suddenly she has decided she does not want to be fly sprayed.  The flies are at their peak right now and can eat a donkey leg raw so spraying is imperative.  But I've grown tired of chasing the Sugar Booger round and round and it's not good for either of us on a hot and humid day.  So I've turned to trickery.

The donks love love love getting brushed.  They'll choose brushing over food.  And squeeze in between me and the donkey I'm brushing to get another turn.  So now I've learned to put down the fly spray bottle and pick up the brush and give Gabs and Spice and little once over. Then sweet talk Sugar over.  When she's feeling nice and relaxed, bam I throw the lead line over her neck and hold the whipper snapper while the legs get thoroughly sprayed.


For those wondering how the little (chicken) girls are doing, a funny story.  Last night when I went out to tuck everybody in for the night, the big girls were in their assigned roosting spots and making their settling in for the night noises.  Well the little girls were in the porch drinking beer, playing rock n' roll and not at all ready for the good times to be over.  Wouldn't you know.


*  *  *  *  *  *  Say Yes  *  *  *  *  *  *
Oh my golly, I just found this deliciousness at the grocery store last week and have used tremendous will power not to eat the whole box.


Non dairy "ice cream" treats.  Simply decadently wonderful.


3 comments:

  1. Trickery seems like the only way to go. That is until Miss Sugar catches on and your plans are flawed!! So glad the little girls seem to be settling really well. What's wrong with a drop of beer and some rock and roll? They are young and they will learn that sometimes the best place is bed (don't I know it now!!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Louise, my hope is to integrate the little girls with the big scary girls in a couple of weeks. Cross your fingers!

      Delete