Monday, August 16, 2021

Goldie Crosses the Rainbow Roost

 I'm so tired of reporting yet another death on our teeny tiny farm.

We lost Goldie sometime overnight on Saturday.  


And of course I have been plagued with the woulda, coulda, shoulda's.

So many darn things can go wrong with these little hens that I feel overwhelmed with storing all the scenarios in my head.  

On Saturday night when I locked up I saw she had deteriorated significantly through the day (we had been out of town for about seven hours) and was afraid she might not make it through the night.  And indeed she did not.  When I entered the coop on Sunday morning all the girls were abnormally subdued.  Those who have been long-time readers may remember when Dottie was fatally attacked by a hawk, I came upon the scene with the remaining girls encircling her.  All quiet.  Clearly the chickens have their own way of dealing with death amongst their flock.  

Goldie was one of the four girls we adopted through the Michigan Humane Society in August 2019 who had been rescued from a hoarding situation in Detroit.


Golda-mold (my pet name for her) had appeared lethargic in June and we administered an epsom salt soak and wormer.  She pepped up and I happily noted she was talking up a storm on a daily basis. 

Clearly we didn't fix the problem.

She was always somewhat of a loner, although she'd hang out with Fluffy (also one of the four) from time to time.


But always snuggled up with the rest of the big girls (next to Sweet Pea she was physically the largest girl in the flock) when it was time to get ready for bed.

On Saturday night when I returned to the house, in my upset state I said to Rick that I would not continue with chickens past the current group.  Done.  Tired of seeing them die.  As of this writing, to be honest I don't know if I've changed my mind.



5 comments:

  1. Oh Janet I am so so sorry to hear of the loss of Goldie. You know that I know exactly how you are feeling. You are so right when you say there are so many things that can go wrong with these girls. It's a absolute minefield! We can only do our best for them and sometimes even having more knowledge of them does not help matters. I don't know how many times I have said to my husband that I am having no more chickens. We feel like this every time we suffer a loss.Somehow these complicated, lovely little creatures capture our hearts and the only slightly comforting thing I can say to you, I hope, is that you have given Goldie a wonderful happy free life that perhaps without your love and care she (and the other girls) would not have had. The photo of Goldie is absolutely beautiful. What a stunning girl and I know she would have been a very happy girl with a wonderful mother like you to take care of her. Sometimes these things are out of our control, no matter what we try to do to help them. I have taken a chicken to the vets thinking it was the correct thing to do, only for her to die the next day. Do not beat yourself up, I know you would have done all in your power to help her. Again, I am sorry. Take good care. Your friend, Louise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Louise, Your thoughts do help. It helps to know you've gone through the same thing with the same struggles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So very sad to read sweet Goldie has passed. She was a beautiful girl. I understand the heartache when go through continual losses, it takes a toll.
    Hugs dear friend,
    Jo

    ReplyDelete