Wednesday, August 25, 2021

Bits and Pieces

 Happenings on our teeny tiny farm.

In random order.

Our friend, Jan, gave me the secret to his cherry tomato success a couple of years ago.  Info on the two varieties he cultivated and where he bought the plants.  Honestly when he'd offer us some I'd eat them like candy.

Backstory: we had given up planting tomatoes a few years ago.  We tried in a bed and the plants withered.  Rick's sister diagnosed it as a virus in the soil.  Then we tried in large pots with new soil.  Same thing happened.  No more tomato plants for us.
Then this year someone told me about an Earthbox.  The real thing that intrigued me was the inclusion of a material that covered the soil.  Kind of like a hair net but clearly denser.  I thought if spores of some kind were drifting in from the woods into the soil, this might help stop them.  So I ordered one, went to the local farmer's market and purchased one plant of each variety.

Holy smoke.

They are now going gangbusters.


 This is from about a month ago before they turned into a total jungle.  I also planted three full size plants in those same pots I mentioned with new soil.  The cherry tomatoes in the Earthbox are doing much better.


Allow me to model the new apron I discovered at an Artisan Market in Ann Arbor (about an hour south of us) with friend Bev.  It was labeled a craft apron but with its multitude of pockets it's clearly an egg apron for me.  I always need pockets when I go out to tend to the critters and sometimes a pair of shorts (or jammies) lets me down and is pocketless.   







Remember at the beginning of the summer I put an old wooden ladder in the chicken run with some branches arranged for the hens to perch on.  And no one was buying it?  Well, what do you know the little girls started trying them out once they were integrated with the big girls.  The big girls still ignore my creative handiwork.




For a brief moment we're moving from chonkey-land to our house.
Our living room was waaaay overdue for a paint job and for the first time in 35 years we hired it done.
ta-da...  Wow, I could get used to someone else doing all the work!



 
Before this most recent hot spell we had some beautiful weather.  Dry, not humid, mid-70's.  Kind of perfect.  It was a good opportunity to sit out on the driveway with the donks to let them munch on long grass from a different vantage point.  They loved it.


Gabby has been bugging me since to do it again but for the moment it's just too darn hot.



*  *  *  *  *  *
Say Yes
*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *

Can't remember how I happened upon someone's suggestion for a sweet potato smoothie, but whatever it was I was prompted to search for a recipe.
This is darn darn good.  And filling.

I









 

3 comments:

  1. Janet those tomatoes are looking brilliant. I used to grow toms in my greenhouse, but without much success. I've given up with them now but I do miss the smell of the tomato plants. Those cherry toms look so tasty. Your living room is gorgeous. You have so much light in there and space. I like your colour choice to. I am not surprised Gabby is asking to go out again. They must have been in their element with all the luscious green grass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Louise, my husband built our house (before we were married). He did a brilliant job except for a couple of design blips. We have a cupboard of doom in the kitchen that takes an acrobat to get to.

      Delete
  2. Wow what a talented husband you have. How absolutely amazing to build your own house. I'm being nosy here, but I'd love to see more photo's.

    ReplyDelete